With the beginning of the twenty-first century, the pace of development in all areas of life is accelerating, including the diagnostic laboratory science where the laboratory technologist handles laboratory diagnosis according to the latest laboratory techniques contribute to clinical diagnosis and diagnosing epidemic and public health diseases.
Based on the belief of the role of the National Center for Central Public Health Laboratories in disseminating knowledge and keeping pace with scientific and technological progress in this field, the National Center for Central Public Health Laboratories holds, under the auspices of His Excellency Dr. Dr. Abdulaziz bin Habtoor, Prime Minister, and Dr. Taha Al-Mutawakil, Minister of Public Health and Population, the First Conference of Laboratory Diagnostic Medicine, entitled (Laboratory Medicine – Reality and Ambition), in which the development of laboratory medical services and new specialized and original research in related fields are discussed.
The conference will be an opportunity for scientists and researchers to exchange views and discuss relevant professional and research issues. The conference will also be accompanied by a special medical exhibition for laboratory medicine and related activities and access to the latest medical and laboratory techniques.
- Activate the supervisory role and quality control in laboratories.
- Pay attention to scientific research and its role in improving the overall level of health services
- Strengthen the link between education outputs and the health sector and its relation to the labor market
- Present the fields of modern technology and modern international experiences in the fields of diagnostic medical laboratories.
- Encourage local, regional and international cooperation in the field of diagnostic medical laboratories.
- Raise the level of competence for specialists in the field of medical analysis and scientific research.
- Develop staff through training courses and workshops in various fields.
- Develop and support this field by supporting specialization in scientific institutions and developing curricula in line with the development of modern technology and presenting a vision and proposals that will raise the scientific level for students involved in the field of diagnostic medical laboratories.
Public health laboratories are the first line of defense against many diseases and epidemics The functions of public health laboratories include:
Rapid response to epidemiological cases by conducting the required tests as soon as possible.
Conducting laboratory tests necessary to diagnose infectious diseases (communicable) that have a direct impact on the public health of community members.
Participate in the investigation and surveillance of infectious diseases in cooperation with the Surveillance Department such as: measles and rubella, SARI / ILI, MERS-CoV 2012, avian influenza, diarrheal diseases such as cholera, diphtheria, leishmaniasis and malaria. Meninges and rotavirus, haemorrhagic fevers such as: (dengue fever, West Nile virus and other public health diseases)
Participate in conducting qualitative research that serves public health.
Conducting various immunological tests.
Confirm bacterial isolates from other laboratories and conduct confirmatory tests such as meningitis and rotavirus.
Participate in external quality control programs through the World Health Organization such as the Department of Microbiology, Parasites, Epidemiological Surveillance, Viruses and Molecular Biology.
Health laboratories carry out their tasks through the following sections:
1) Viruses Section
2) Department of Molecular Biology
3) Parasitology Department
4) Epidemiological surveillance
5) Microbiological Department
6) Department of Diagnostic Immunology
7) Tissue culture and isolation of viruses
The role of medical laboratories in health institutions
Medical laboratories play an important role within the medical and therapeutic facilities and have an important role in the medical system to serve the patient. The importance of medical laboratories in the following points:
Laboratories have an important role in assisting the doctor in selecting or determining the appropriate diagnosis of a particular disease from the list of required diagnoses and then give appropriate treatment to the patient who contributes to its improvement and recovery.
Laboratories have an important role in helping the doctor to prove a clinical diagnosis of a particular medical condition.
Laboratories have an important role in assessing and monitoring the degree of change in a disease.
A brief history of laboratory diagnostic
The development of laboratory diagnostic medicine from ancient times to the twenty-first century in three stages:
He started using ants to taste body fluids, through microscopic examination, to molecular examination, which is the basis of medical history, scientific revolution, and the source of separation.
In ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, the first doctors diagnosed patients based on the observation of clinical symptoms and the use of palpation and hearing and doctors in these times were able to describe the imbalances in the digestive system, heart, blood circulation, liver, spleen and menstrual disorders in this way, and was used For the diagnosis of patients from royal families and the wealthy only.